Pictures of Buildings from Bygone Days

Many of the buildings shown here are still standing and occupied. Although modifications may have been carried out over the years, in many cases the original structures are still clearly identifiable.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aerial view showing Charlton Church, the Old Schoolroom, the Old Vicarage and the old Bakery

 

 

 

 

 

 

Charlton Manor House in its prime, the former home of the Dingley family, who 

lived in Charlton for around 400 years

 

 

 

 

 

 

Garden Cottage in the late 1960s, showing the now ruined manor house in the centre background

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Charlton Manor House now derelict, prior to demolition in the 1970s.

The development known as "The Dovecote" was later built on the site

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Old Vicarage c.1950's, demolished in the 1990s to make way for new houses, including sheltered accomodation for the elderly

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yew Tree Cottage in its original form,

once part of a complex including barns

and a rickyard

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Interior of St John The Evangelist church

in 1877

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The old ford on Brook Lane.

"Stocky Brook" is now known as

"Merry Brook"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Another view of the ford, with

Donald and Arthur Crowley

in the background

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old houses on The Strand

 

 

 

 

 

Building which later became the village Post Office (and regular source of sweets for children getting on and off the various school buses). Now converted to two dwellings

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old barn at Whitehouse farm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Church cottages in Ryden Lane c.1920s

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Gardeners Arms

Print Print | Sitemap
© Charlton Parish Council