Many of the buildings shown here are still standing and occupied. Although modifications may have been carried out over the years, in many cases the original structures are still clearly identifiable.
The old Baptist chapel situated on Canada Bank was built in 1846. At various times, due to declining support, services were no longer held and in 1892 it was recorded as being rented by the Charlton Working Men's Institute as a club room. However, services were resumed during the 1920s. In 1948 the building was sold by the Baptists and converted into a private dwelling.
Aerial view of the junction of Ryden Lane and Brook Lane believed to have been taken c.1940. The old bakery together with its outbuildings and the Church can be seen clearly. The building in the Church garden was the working men's social club, later used as a private dwelling and later still housing the Village youth club. It was finally demolished in the 1960s
Charlton Manor House in its prime, the former home of the Dingley family, who
lived in Charlton for around 400 years. The architectural style is "William and Mary", which probably dates the original construction to the 17th century, although substantial modifications and improvements had been made when this photo was taken in the 1920s