These pictures have been donated by current and former residents of Charlton showing people and events from times past. If anyone recognises their relatives in the pictures or has recollections of the events shown, please contact either Richard Sims (861167) or Julian Hawley (860420).
The officers of the 4th Worcestershire (Evesham) Battalion, Home Guard at a dinner for all officers which was part of the standing down ceremony in November 1944 after which the Home Guard passed into history. Lieutenant Alfred Ballard, the commanding officer of the Charlton Home Guard section is third in from the right, first row standing. He was the son of the landlord of the Gardeners Arms and later took over the pub himself. Lt. J Cathcart-Davies, third from right sitting, was the vicar of Cropthorne and Charlton.
The Reverend Peter Eliot, Vicar of Charlton and Cropthorne until 1965 together with his wife Lady Alethea Eliot who involved herself in Charlton village activities during her husband's time as vicar. She was the daughter of the 1st Earl Buxton who was Governor General of the Union of South Africa 1914 to 1920. This photo was taken in 1933
This is a photo of Hillside Café that used to be at the end of Top Street opposite the entrance to Cherry Orchard. It opened soon after 1946 and operated during the 1950s, closing in the very early 1960s when it was replaced by the present two semi-detached houses. It was very popular with local transport drivers and villagers. To the right of the café was a small shop which was attached to what is now Jars Cottage where the owners lived. From the shop was a serving hatch where sweets, ice cream and tobacco were served with fish and chips available on Saturdays. The café was run by Phyllis Fryer (pictured) and Robert Morgan. Phyllis's husband Fred had died shortly after the war and is buried in the war grave in Charlton cemetery. The Fryers were a long-standing Charlton family, Fred's father Allen being the farm bailiff for JM Stokes at Whitehouse Farm.
There are a number of stories related to ghosts in the old manor house. One is that Sir John used to haunt the cellars and the servants were scared to go down there as "Sir John will blow your candle out". Allegedly it took 12 priests to exorcise his spirit which was ultimately driven into a wine barrel which was then bricked up behind the cellar wall.
Of course, the barrel is still there underneath one of the houses in the Dovecote!
There was also a story about a white lady who haunted the staircase, there is someone in the village today who actually saw her.
This may be her looking out of the attic window!